Friday, November 18, 2011

Degrees of separation

One of the interesting things that has emerged from the VBA is how clicky and slightly incestuous we are. In some ways it shouldn't be a surprise. Some of us have hung out online for years, but following links around has made it very obvious how we band together. Most of us are linked by far less than the six degrees of separation that some theorists have postulated.

In the vastness of space we cluster together because although our relationships often have a gulf between them, we get each other on some level. We are the freaks who turn what is for many a fetish or an elaborate scene into a permanent power dynamic. It may flutter and wane occasionally as life tries to force itself upon us, but that dynamic will always rear up. Mostly because although some of us can do vanilla, we don't do it as well as we do this. Ultimately we are happier and more fulfilled when we aren't trying to squeeze ourselves into a power void in our relationships. Not that any of us would dream of doing that... cough, cough.

So here we are, a small flotilla of life rafts bumping and nudging each other in the blogosphere.

9 comments:

? said...

We really are an incestuous little group. Everybody links to everybody else!

But what you've said is really true. I enjoy having friends who understand me. It's not that I couldn't do this on my own. But there's pleasure in communing with like-minded people who also live the reality of O/p, not the fantasy.

I've been happy enough in regular egalitarian relationships. But this fulfills a need in me. Yeah, some of it is a fetish (I TOTALLY have a force fetish) but my everyday life isn't about what gets me off. It just makes my brain happy to be his possession.

Aren't we special?

little monkey said...

I'm only here for the shoes.

Unknown said...

Say it with me...

I am not a slave!

Master's piece said...

Most of us are here for the shoes... OK and the anal :)

impy said...

Did someone mention shoes?

I think too it's a meeting of the minds in alot of ways. That deeper level of understanding. God that was a bit poetic.

Master's piece said...

You can never get too poetic about shoes... um... we were still talking about shoes right??

Storm said...

Shoes? Dammit, I thought this was about life rafts!
I'm here because suffering is just not as much fun without company. And I have found myself in some very good company.

MsSparkles said...

I like that we are tight even more than the shoes.

Yes, really.

Unknown said...

tight shoes are a hard limit, unless they are cute